King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

...deserve their own thread

Been into this one a lately:

4 Likes

best rock album of the last decade no competition.

2 Likes

Dude, fuck yes. I don't even know where to start. Everything they do is different and it all kicks ass. Who the fuck else has ever been like that?

3 Likes

this is actually my second favorite from them, such a different vibe but still great.

2 Likes

I prefer Flying Microtonal Banana, but I think Nonagon is much more relevant and ambitious

I'm not up on the most recent shit, if you've got any recommendations

1 Like

the album mentioned above was extremely repetitive
Idk i never made it through. i should try some of there other stuff but whatever
Robot Stomp was a pretty spectacular song and music video

1 Like

Polygondwanaland is my favorite. A psychedelic masterpiece. Fishing for Fishies is awesome, it doesn't sound as heavy at first but close listening & attention to detail bear much fruit. Infest the Rats Nest is a thrash metal concept album about class warfare and the ensuing attempt to escape to other planets. I love them all.

2 Likes

Yeah that was my problem with it. It has a good theme, but think they hit it a few too many times. It didn't have a whole lot of relistening value for me.

1 Like

Sketches is my favorite of the 2017 records. A collab /w Mild High Club (who have a great a record of their own called Skiptracing)

2 Likes

Dude, you gotta check out some other stuff. This band is possibly the most stylistically diverse I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot.

1 Like

Yeah the title track for Fishing for Fishies put me off so bad that I lost interest in them for awhile. It's grown on me though. Definitely a weird song

1 Like

maybe my fave song from FFF

3 Likes

Dude, yeah. Was about to post this up as an example of how the title track doesn't define the album.

This is probably my favorite from that album though.

2 Likes

They don't really do it for me. I admire they have a large ensemble and they are looking to stretch their boundaries.

To defend those who say they're stale. The drummers don't change it up at all in any of the songs ITT. Granted brains' favorite song didn't load for me. If you like intricate drumming with feel, this band is not for you. Those guys have iron wrists on their right hands, no slack. It's like the drummers are trying to impress you, and you can hear it.** Flailing fills at all times and not just from the drummers. I think I'm just biased because I love Jon FIshman and a few other legendary drummers. I'll argue with anyone that Fishman, especially in 3.0, is the crown jewel of the Phish quartet. These guys are onto something, and I definitely would love to hear more from them into the future. As of now I don't hear the 'crossing all genres' stuff. Garage rock at its finest.

**Signed a huge neil peart fan

1 Like

I’m a big fan. Probably the best band on the planet making new music right now. They are so vast in their various sounds and genres. Chunky Shrapnel is an incredible live album. Maybe better than Slip, Stitch, and Pass

2 Likes

Just posted last night..

1 Like

Yea that's a pretty good track. Again with a killer outro. I would imagine these guys are awesome live in concert. They don't really do it for my with their vocals, but the music is good. That was obviously a difficult drum pattern with a little more nuance than some of the other tracks ITT.

I would still argue that is a very similar sound to other songs of theirs. It's a testament to their originality that they have a distinct recognizable sound. If I could hear extended jams on some of these little codas they stumble into, that would be a whole new frontier to my ears.

1 Like